All foods in the U.S. traditionally have a best-before date when they are deemed to be expired, but in reality, there are some foods that you can eat safely even past that date. Huffpost has a list of 14 foods that you can still consume and with food prices rising continually you may want to take note of these before throwing them out.**
- Eggs – are safe to eat a few days after their expiration date but smell them before cooking.
- Bread – if stored in the fridge can last two weeks past expiry date per TooGoodToGo.
- White rice – safe to eat if stored properly.
- Dry pasta – under the right storage conditions can last up to 24 months after the expiry date.
- Canned foods – like pasta, can be consumed 24 months after the best-before date.
- Sauce bottles
- Flour and sugar
- Vinegar and soy sauce
- Peanut butter
- Unopened pack of biscuits
And remember that you should always check the smell and appearance of the food before preparing to stay safe.
** Disclaimer: When in doubt...Throw it out. I don't want your food poisoning on my conscience, so don't take any chances based on an article posted by a skinny guy on the radio. :-)
photo: Getty Images Source: Huffpost