Looks like a lot of people will be traveling during the holiday season, so the airport experience might be more stressful than usual. Travel expert Nicole Jaques is sharing six hacks that can make your trip much easier. Some of them are surprising, like the first one on her list about which way to go when you reach security.
- Always turn left at security - Jaques says most people are right-handed, so they head right at security. And that’s why she recommends going left to avoid the crowds and get through TSA checks quickly and easily “Nine times out of 10 if I go to the farthest left lane no one is there, or fewer people are, at least for customs and security,” she explains.
- Pack extra socks in your carry-on - She points out that the floor at security is “one of the dirtiest and highly trafficked areas in an airport.” But if you have a second pair of socks in your bag, you can change them out and avoid wearing that nastiness on your socks for the rest of the day.
- Switch your roller bag to an upright one - Jaques recommends anyone who is prone to shoulder and back pain change their carry-on bag choice. “Instead of a roller bag that you roll and pull from behind, get one that sits upright to alleviate shoulder and back pain,” she suggests. This expert also says you can get an extra bag checked in for free, explaining, “Carry-on sized bags can be gate checked for free, right there, easy peasy.” And while The Points Guy reports that this is true, it depends on a passenger’s ticket because not all of them allow full-sized carry-on items.
- Bring a refillable water bottle - She suggests this as a way to save money by just filling the bottle up after going through security.
- Don’t buy snacks at the airport - We all know how expensive airport food prices can be, so this is another way to save money while making sure you have something you enjoy eating for your flight.
- Invest in a portable battery pack - Instead of bringing a separate charger for your phone, laptop and iPad, Jaques advises buying a battery pack so you can charge everything in one.