CRANSTON, R.I. (AP) _ The Rhode Island National Guard is canceling its annual international parachuting competition Leapfest because of automatic federal budget cuts.
The guard made the announcement Tuesday.
The static line parachute competition had been scheduled for August. Maj. Gen. Kevin McBride, adjutant general of the guard, says all military demonstrations are prohibited from performing because of the cuts.
Leapfest has been held since 1982, and it's described by the Guard as the largest, longest standing international static-line parachute training event and competition. It has drawn teams from nations including New Zealand, Tunisia, United Kingdom, and South Africa.
McBride says they will plan to hold it next year.