Last week I told you the top 25 horror movies you have to see before you die. But you don’t have to be left in the dark this Halloween if those picks were too scary – there are plenty of family-friendly options that are just as classic.
From “Beetlejuice” to “Coraline” to “Casper,” here are the top 10 family-friendly spooky movies to stream this fall:
- “Beetlejuice” (1998): Tim Burton’s classic starring Michael Keaton, Winona Ryder, and Catherine O’Hara(you know her from “Schitt’s Creek,” too!)
- “The Nightmare Before Christmas”(1993):Is it a Halloween or Christmas flick? Who cares, it works for both holidays, delivering as many spooky as heart-warming moments –oh, and it also stars Catherine O’Hara.
- “Coraline” (2009): Dakota Fanning plays the title character in this animated childhood fantasy –or is it a nightmare?
- “Hocus Pocus” (1993): Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy star in this 1993 witchy classic – which is currently enjoying a box office comeback thanks to its 2020 re-release!
- “Casper” (1995):This is as family-friendly as it gets – after all, Casper is known as the “friendly” ghost.
- “Ghostbusters”:You can watch the 1984 original, or the 2016 reboot… either way, you’re getting a spooky good time starring plenty of comedy icons, like Bill Murray, Rick Moranis, Kate McKinnon and Melissa McCarthy.
- “Halloweentown” (1998):This flick starring Kimberly J Brown and Debbie Reynolds is your chance to live out a fantasy of discovering secret magical abilities.
- “Harry Potter”:Pick any installment of this franchise starring Daniel Radcliffe, and you’re guaranteed family-friendly spooks, goofs, and plenty of magic.
- “Hotel Transylvania” (2012): Adam Sandler, Andy Samberg, Selena Gomez and more voice spooky but lovable characters in this star-studded animated hit.
- “Hubie Halloween” (2020):And this is Adam Sandler’s latest – also star-studded, Halloween-themed, and available now on Netflix!
Want more non-R-rated recommendations? ClickHERE.
photo: Getty Images