With movie theaters closed for most of the past year, it has been hard keeping up with new releases. In case you want to brush up on the top films of the past year, here's a rundown of Oscar nominees and some of the cool story lines that go with the nominations, which were announced on Monday (3/15).
Of course, there were some notable snubs, surprises, and fun facts…
- Regina King, who was nominated for a Golden Globe in the directing category, was shut out of the Oscars.
- Spike Leeand his film, “Da 5 Bloods,” were overlooked for everything except a Best Original Score nod.
- Jodie Foster, who unexpectedly picked up a Golden Globe as Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical for “The Mauritanian – was overlooked this time.
- Thomas Vinterberg the a Danish director who got a nomination for the foreign film, “Another Round,” about a group of friends who experiment with day-drinking to see if it improves their home lives, was considered a surprising choice.
- Anthony Hopkins has the distinction of being the oldest Best Actor nominee in history at 83 for his work in “The Father.” The previous holder of that title was “The Straight Story” star Richard Farnsworth, who was 79 in 2000.
- Finally, Glenn Close earned both an Oscar and a Razzie nomination for her work in “Hillbilly Elegy.”
- “Mank” picked up the lion’s share of nominations with ten, including nods for best picture, director for David Fincher, lead actor for Gary Oldman, and supporting actress for Amanda Seyfried.
The 93rd annual Academy Awards will be handed out live on ABC on April, 25th. Here’s a look at nominations in the major categories:
- "The Father"
- "Judas and the Black Messiah"
- "Promising Young Woman"
- "Sound of Metal"
- "The Trial of the Chicago 7”
- Thomas Vinterberg, "Another Round"
- David Fincher, "Mank"
- Lee Isaac Chung, "Minari"
- Chloe Zhao, "Nomadland"
- Emerald Fennell, "Promising Young Woman"
Actor In A Leading Role
- Riz Ahmed, "Sound of Metal"
- Chadwick Boseman, "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom"
- Anthony Hopkins, "The Father"
- Gary Oldman, "Mank"
- Steven Yeun, "Minari"
Actress In A Leading Role
- Viola Davis, "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom"
- Andra Day, "The United States vs. Billie Holiday"
- Vanessa Kirby, "Pieces of a Woman"
- Frances McDormand, "Nomadland"
- Carey Mulligan, "Promising Young Woman"
Actor In A Supporting Role
- Sacha Baron Cohen, "The Trial of the Chicago 7"
- Daniel Kaluuya, "Judas and the Black Messiah"
- Leslie Odom Jr., "One Night in Miami"
- Paul Raci, "Sound of Metal"
- Lakeith Stanfield, "Judas and the Black Messiah"
Actress In A Supporting Role
- Maria Bakalova, "Borat Subsequent Moviefilm"
- Glenn Close, "Hillbilly Elegy"
- Olivia Colman, "The Father"
- Amanda Seyfried, "Mank"
- Youn Yuh-jung, "Minari"
- "Fight For You" from "Judas and the Black Messiah"
- "Hear My Voice" from "The Trial of the Chicago 7"
- "Husavik" from "Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga"
- "lo Sì (Seen)" from "The Life Ahead (La Vita Davanti a Se)"
- "Speak Now" from "One Night in Miami..."
photo: Getty Images