Seriously??? A Yoko Ono Tribute Album??? Yikes.
Death Cab For Cutie's Benjamin Gibbard has "imagined and curated" a Yoko Ono tribute album set to be released on Ono's 89th birthday, February 18, 2022. The album, called "Ocean Child" Songs of Yoko Ono" is a compilation tribute album.
Artists featured on the album include Death Cab for Cutie, David Byrne, Yo La Tengo, Japanese Breakfast, Sharon Van Etten, the Flaming Lips US Girls, Jay Som, Stephin Merritt(ofMagnetic Fields),Thao, Sudan Archives, Deerhoof, We Are KingandAmber Coffman. Yo La Tengo, the Flaming Lips, and Deerhoof have all actually collaborated in the past with Ono before.
Portions from the album will be donated to "WhyHunger," an organization working to change the world's food system through social justice and addressing the root causes of poverty and hunger. It's an organization that Ono has supported for decades. The album will also have a podcast, hosted by Gibbard and music journalist Jenny Eliscu where they discuss Ono's music and legacy with artists featured on the album.
Here is the full tracklist for the album:
- "Toyboat" – Sharon Van Etten
- "Who Has Seen The Wind?" – David Byrne and Yo La Tengo
- "Dogtown" – Sudan Archives
- "Waiting For The Sunrise" – Death Cab for Cutie
- "Yellow Girl (Stand For Life)" – Thao
- "Born In A Prison" – US Girls
- "Growing Pain" – Jay Som
- "Listen, The Snow Is Falling" – Stephin Merritt (of Magnetic Fields)
- "No No No" – Deerhoof
- "Don’t Be Scared" – We Are King
- "Mrs. Lennon" – The Flaming Lips
- "No One Sees Me Like You Do" – Japanese Breakfast
- "There Is No Goodbye Between Us" – Yo La Tengo
- "Run Run Run" – Amber Coffman
Photo: Getty Images Source:Variety