We all have things that are instant turn-offs in dating and socializing. It turns out, some of those “icks” can be relationship deal-breakers. According to a new poll of 2,000 adults, 65% have actually broken up with someone because of an ick and 88% admit they’ve ghosted someone completely over an ick.
The survey also reveals:
- Smelling bad is the top ick (24%), followed by pretending to be more knowledgeable about something than they really are (21%) and being rude to a waiter (also 21%).
- 15% of respondents have called it quits with a love interest because they were obsessed with star signs and 14% have ended things with someone who clapped when a plane landed.
- Other top icks include living in a mess, being overbearing and rude, having dirty fingernails, being too clingy, having bad teeth, double texting, chewing with their mouth open, oversharing on social media, having long fingernails and referring to themselves in the third person.
- There are some gender differences when it comes to icks. While 14% of men would break up with someone who wanted to share food on a first date, 16% of women consider wearing a tacky watch an ick and 15% judge others for referring to their favorite sports team as if they were actually part of the team.
- More than half (58%) of all respondents think they’ve given someone the ick themselves.
- Nearly three-quarters (73%) admit they’re likely to judge someone negatively for suggesting to split a food bill, especially if they suggested the date.
- While 44% consider themselves at least somewhat picky about finding a partner, 79% believe they deserve the best and try to up their standards when looking for a partner.
photo: Getty Images Source: SWNS Digital