The nominees have been announced for the 2023 class of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. They are (in alphabetical order)...KATE BUSH, SHERYL CROW, MISSY ELLIOTT, IRON MAIDEN, JOY DIVISION/NEW ORDER, CYNDI LAUPER, GEORGE MICHAEL, WILLIE NELSON, RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE, SOUNDGARDEN, THE SPINNERS, A TRIBE CALLED QUEST, THE WHITE STRIPES, and WARREN ZEVON.
fan voting is open. Cast your vote here.
This was a pretty tough year because so many of the nominees are pretty much at the same level...superstars, but not Super Superstars. Here is how I voted:
- Willie Nelson - I know he's not a rock artist, but he is a six decade+ music superstar who is revered by everyone in the industry. Besides, the Hall has changed the criteria for inductees in the past few years. If Dolly Parton and Tupac can get in, Willie is overdue!
- Iron Maiden - Again...how are they not already in? Not my cup of tea, but I think they could get in just on the basis of their awesome tee shirts. Influenced two generations of metal.
- Cyndi Lauper - Ground breaker. Songwriter Hall of Fame. Huge enduring hits.
- Sheryl Crow - Similar argument to Cyndi, except Sheryl did it in the 90s instead of the 80's. She was the biggest name on the Lilith tour, which helped put women on equal footing with men in rock and roll. Prior to the 90s, female artists in rock were often considered exceptions or novelties because there were so few female fronted acts.
- Rage Against the Machine - I admit I only like a few of their songs, but I appreciate their place in rock history. They weren't just "alternative" or "metal." They melded rap, rock and funk in a way that paved a path for many rockers from the 90's into the 2000's.
Warren Zevon - There are a few Zevon songs that I LOVE, so it was hard not to pick him, especially since his last album, the one he made while he was dying, is pretty insightful. Very possible I might change my mind and regret not voting. Something of a niche artist. Only a handful of songs made it onto radio and endured, but he had a dedicated and discerning fanbase.
Missy Elliot, White Stripes - You'll get there eventually. Just not your turn yet.
photo: Getty Images Source: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame