Some folks dream of the day they’ll get married, but marriage isn’t easy. Even if you think you’ve found the perfect partner, there are a lot of things that could cause problems in a marriage.
Well, now married folks are here to share some brutally honest advice for those thinking about "tying the knot". Sooo...BuzzFeed asked their community to share their all-too real marriage advice, and folks were happy to share.
Some of the advice includes:
- “The most valuable piece of advice I received was, 'You are vowing to stay together — you are not vowing to stay the same people.' …My husband and I are not the same people we were 13 years ago, but it's been wonderful growing with him."
- “Don't marry the person you get along well with — marry the person you fight well with. It's easy to get along with people…But finding the partner whose fighting style is compatible with yours is the mark of something that can last."
- "Learn to let some stuff go…Don't stay mad forever about something that probably isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.”
- “Don't get married during the honeymoon phase. Wait until it's been at least two or three years and you've seen them happy, sad, glad, and angry."
- "Know that it’s the two of you in the relationship, not other family members — they are your supporting cast. If you start dragging in others, you'll have even bigger problems."
- “You don't have to spend every waking minute together. Spending time with your friends, keeping your own interests and hobbies, and even vacationing separately is OK!”
- “Sparks come and go, but true friendship lasts. If the person you're with isn't your best friend — or at least one of your best friends — it might not last."
- "Own two comforters."
- "Don't be afraid to talk about money. It will affect so much of your everyday lives."