There's lots of things to love about getting a dog, but there’s a lot that goes into being a pet parent, but there are some downsides, and it seems many pet owners don’t realize some of the things that come with pet ownership.
According to a new survey:
- Over a third of pet owners admit they were unprepared for not only the commitment, but the mess, that comes with having a four-legged friend at home.
- Some of the biggest downsides to pet ownership include:
- Vet bills (27%)
- Picking up poo (26%)
- Barking and meowing at all hours (19%)
- But the biggest thing that pet owners simply can’t stand is all the molting/shedding that happens (31%)
- In fact, half of dog and cat owners say they are disgusted by the mess that comes with their pets’ hair.
- And it’s apparently everywhere, with 27% finding hair in their food, and 10% actually finding hair in their toothbrush.
- 32% have been left embarrassed when pet hair got into guests’ food.
- For 15% of pet owners, they won’t invite people over their house because of it.
- 20% say they simply weren’t prepared for all the hair that comes with being a pet owners.
- 28% say they feel like they spend all their time cleaning up fur.
- The average pet owner will spend two hours and 18 minutes each week sweeping up and vacuuming up pet hair.