Having a stable job and conquering a fear are just some of the things Americans say everyone should experience before they turn 40, according to a new survey. It asked 2-thousand adults to name the top things people should do by the time they hit the big 4-0, as well as what younger and older generations hope to have in their futures.
The survey finds that 83% of respondents have been planning for their futures and 73% are optimistic about what will happen in their lives. Looking ahead to a decade from now:
- Gen Zers (those between 18 and 25) see themselves getting a promotion or raise and starting a family (both 19%).
- Millennials (ages 26 to 41) say they picture themselves owning a business (28%), and a home (23%), along with growing their families (19%) and getting a better job (16%).
- Gen X respondents (ages 42 to 57) want to focus on becoming healthier (21%) and traveling with the person they love (19%).
- And for baby boomers (ages 58 to 76), almost half (45%) plan to put their health first in their later years and they also look forward to traveling with a loved one (19%).
The top 20 things people should experience before turning 40, according to the survey:
- Have a stable job (29%)
- Own a car (28%)
- Go to the doctor more often to take care of your health (26%)
- Travel with a person you love (26%)
- Own a home (26%)
- Start a family (25%)
- Learn to cook/bake well (23%)
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen, hospital or senior citizen’s home (22%)
- Donate to charity (21%)
- Start a hobby (20%)
- Conquer a fear (e.g. public speaking) (20%)
- Own a business (19%)
- See the New Year’s Eve ball drop in Times Square in person (18%)
- Go through a break-up (16%)
- Go on a solo date (16%)
- Learn at least one new language (16%)
- Ride a roller coaster (15%)
- Watch movies like “This is 40” for laughs (15%)
- Write a letter to yourself (14%)
- Have a romantic dinner at the Eiffel Tower (14%)