Buying a home in 2022 was challenging to say the least, but it turns out, some areas were tougher than others. Zillow is revealing which cities were the most popular of the year, based on page-view traffic on their site, available housing inventory, sales, price appreciation and other housing barometers that indicate customer demand. Zillow analyzed thousands of zip codes in the 100 biggest metro areas in the country to come up with a ranking of the site’s most popular U.S. cities.
- The overall most popular city on Zillow this year is Prairie Village, Kansas, which is just outside downtown Kansas City. The average home in Prairie Village is valued at $416,187.
- The second most popular city of 2022 is Derry, New Hampshire, followed by Bon Air, Virginia, in third place.
Zillow also ranked popular places in a variety of categories, including:
- Most popular beach town - Beverly, Massachusetts
- Most popular retirement town - Dunedin, Florida
- Most popular large city - Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Most popular small town - Windham, New Hampshire
- Most popular vacation town - Lavallette, New Jersey
- Most popular college town - Tempe, Arizona