Elon Musk used to be the richest person in the world, not anymore according to “Forbes.” The magazine’s most recent list of the 10 wealthiest people on the planet is out and while the CEO of Tesla, SpaceX and Twitter was the richest person for most of 2022, he dropped to the number two spot in December, where he remains today.
“Forbes” new ranking has Bernard Arnault topping the list as the richest person in the world. The French CEO of luxury goods company LVMH is worth nearly $211-billion.
- Six of the 10 richest people in the world are Americans, including Jeff Bezos, Larry Ellison and Bill Gates.
- Nine of the top 10 richest people are men.
- Since so much of billionaires’ net worth is in the stocks of the company they founded, when that stock price moves, their fortunes go with it. That means the richest people change frequently.
- Larry Page and Sergey Brin, co-founders of Google, were the 8th and 10th richest in the world on February 1st, but when the share price of Google’s parent company Alphabet fell over 9% in the last month, they both dropped out of the top 10.
- Mark Zuckerberg was the 5th richest person in the world in March 2022, worth $97-billion. Since then, Facebook’s (rebranded as Meta Platforms) stock has fallen 35% and as of yesterday, Zuckerberg is the world’s 16th richest, worth $63-billion.
- The richest woman in the world and the only woman in the top 10 is Francoise Bettencourt Meyers. The French granddaughter of the founder of cosmetics company L’Oreal is worth $80.7-billion.
The 10 richest people in the world, as of March 1st, 2023:
- Bernard Arnault
- Elon Musk
- Jeff Bezos
- Larry Ellison
- Warren Buffett
- Bill Gates
- Carlos Slim Helu
- Mukesh Ambani
- Steve Ballmer
- Francoise Bettencourt Meyers