Ever find yourself craving carbohydrates in the cold weather? Yup, all the time! That’s because carbs put us in a good mood, and they boost our energy levels.
In a way we self-medicate during the winter with comfort foods because they give us feelings of happiness, so noshing on cookies, cake, bread and pasta all increases in the cold winter months.
According to Food and Wine Magazine, chili is one of the favorite winter comfort foods of Americans along with soup and homemade Mac and cheese.
There are some healthier alternatives. Cooking Light has 6 tips on how to stay warm and satisfied all Winter long
1. Go for “Slow” Carbs – These are foods rich in carb yet high in fiber including beans, peas, vegetables, barley, oats, quinoa, and other whole grains.
2. Enjoy Soups and Stews - Not only will they will warm you up they’ll also fill you up. Choose soups and stews full of veggies.
3. Make Meals Count – Fill your plate with foods that are high in fiber and low in calories...vegetables, lean protein and healthy fat.
4. Portion Comfort Foods – You don’t have to skip them altogether, just choose smaller portions sizes when you do splurge.
5. Drink lots of water – Whey you’re dehydrated you will feel hungry.
6. Make sure you workout
Source: Cooking Light