Director Greta Gerwig had a lot to celebrate this weekend. It was her birthday on August 4th, and her Barbie movie passed the $1 billion mark at the box office. The film brought in another $53 million over the weekend, making her the first sole female director with a billion-dollar movie.
For her birthday on Friday, Ryan Gosling surprised Greta with a flash mob of Kens! See the video below.
New in theaters, The Meg 2: The Trench made $30 million and took over second place from Oppenheimer which brought in another $28.7 million pushing that film over the half billion mark. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem opened this weekend as well and earned $28 million.
Box Office Results for the weekend of August 4th
1. Barbie, $53 million
2. The Meg 2: The Trench, $30 million
3. Oppenheimer, $28.7 million
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, $28 million
5. Haunted Mansion, $8.97 million
6. Sound of Freedom, $7 million
7. Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One, $6.45 million
8. Talk to Me, $6.2 million
9. Rocky Aur Rani Kii Prm Kahaani, $1.58 million
10. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, $1.52 million